Owner Operated - A Journey Into Main Street with Jeff Johnson Jr., Power Mulch Inc.
Welcome to Owner Operated.
Happy New Year!
As I reflect on 2021 and set goals for 2022 and beyond, I'm reminded of the many relationships I've built as a result of this podcast.
Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me that you choose to take time out of your schedule to listen. I have some great conversations and improvements to the podcast in store for 2022, and I can't wait to share them with you.
Here's a showcase of all the episodes so far:
One of my goals for this year is to get more consistent with publishing Owner Operated. If I start slipping, you have permission to send hate mail my way. My goal is >2/month.
For episode 15, we're starting the new year off right with a fascinating niche Main Street business. I spoke with Jeff Johnson, the owner of Power Mulch, a material-blowing company based in Smithfield, North Carolina.
Listen to this week's show on Spotify, Apple, and Google Podcasts.
- What it means to own a small business – the good and the bad
- Surviving through the uncertainty of 2008
- The company's employees and structure
- Key operations of the business
- The benefits of adding additional business models
- How they’ve hired great people
- The importance of the owner being "on the job" for employees and customers in a Main Street business
- Being able to make difficult decisions as an owner
- Future plans for Power Mulch
Special shoutout to the team at MidStreet and OnTops Roofing for all of their support - without them none of this would have happened so fast. And a special thank you to Jed Byrne for being an amazing human and giving me the idea to create a newsletter which is what started this whole thing. He writes the Top Five newsletter (and now hosts the Dirt NC Podcast, which you should listen to for all things about the built environment in North Carolina). And of course thank you mom & dad, my godmother Mimi, my close friends, and everyone else who's helped along the way.
Thank you for listening. We're at 24 reviews on iTunes. Help me get to 25!